Shedding frustrations in favour of little things that go right

Today was a good day. Since the downing of the Ukrainian Airlines flight in Iran I have been very busy with the response, due to the death of 13 Afghan citizens (for context, I am responsible for Canada’s relations with Afghanistan within the headquarters of my foreign affairs ministry). I also have several other balls in the air with high level visits and briefings on my big project. Several of those pieces fell into place today thanks to the strong analysis and quick action of colleagues on three continents. They made me proud to be a public servant.

It has been a very long and difficult week for Canadian and other families, and for everyone helping them to cope with this tragedy. I am consciously trying to celebrate their hard work and dedication, instead of dwelling on the long hours, endless emails, and general confusion as too many people try to handle too many things at once. 

In the past, I didn’t believe people who said that you could sometimes change your mood just by trying to see things from a different perspective. Then I studied structured analytical techniques, and read up on cognitive behavioural therapy and started trying to apply those lessons to myself. With practice, I am learning to shed frustrations and other unhelpful thoughts, so that I can focus on getting things done and celebrating the little successes along the way. It takes practice, but I think I am starting to get there.

Today’s picture will have nothing to do with grieving families or boring meeting rooms. Instead, meet Mambo, my crazy little rescue cat. She came to me badly in need of dental work and with an eye that kept getting infected. Following surgery to correct an eyelid that was flipped so her lashes were constantly scratching her cornea, and removal of all but four teeth, she is a happy girl.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shedding junk in my work space

The COVID-19 new normal?

The World Without Us - Thoughts for Earth Day