Falling, and picking myself up again

Yesterday was my boss’ birthday so there was a little surprise party. I popped in for a couple of minutes and ended up with a glass of prosecco in my hand, which I promptly drank. Of course. It was cold and bubbly, and I was thirsty. So much for my dry January goal. It was just a silly thing but still disappointing because I like to meet my goals. I won’t start over. I will simply pick up from where I left off and finish the month if I can.

Tonight I left the office after 9:30 at night, having started my day just before 6 am (I did take time out to shower, change and grab breakfast in between the emails). My first call tomorrow is at 8 am. So much much for the work-life balance I encourage in my staff. Far too many of them were also working late, either in the office or responding to messages from home. There is no way to get that time back, but I have told one staffer she is not to cancel her cross-country skiing plans for tomorrow. I have committed to myself that I will make it to my riding lesson tomorrow. That means I absolutely must leave the office by about 5 pm in order to get home, get changed into riding gear, eat something, drive to the barn, catch Fancy, groom her, tack her up, then get her to the arena for a warm-up before my lesson starts. Failure would be cancelling  the lesson when I deserve to leave the office on time for a change.

Missing tonight’s youtube yoga session in favour of sleep is not a failure. It is just sensible. I am doing well on 220 days of purposeful movement in 2020. Failure would be pushing myself to do it when I’m not feeling great, or going to bed and reading instead of sleeping.

I refuse to feel bad about any of these “failures”. They are part of life, I have solutions, and I am shedding the guilt.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shedding junk in my work space

The COVID-19 new normal?

The World Without Us - Thoughts for Earth Day