Taking time out for a moment of calm

I spent most of my day yesterday on the smart phone, dealing with messages related to a major crisis that affects my work and one of the countries I am responsible for (I’m in the Canadian diplomatic service). I even had to go in to work for a bit, jeans, favourite old sweatshirt and all. Dinner afterwards with friends was great for the spirit, but not quite relaxing as the restaurant was noisy and we were all waiting for the predicted freezing rain storm to start.

I knew there was going to be another meeting today, as well as a call with representatives of several countries - including mine - but the details were not available last night so I got up early to make sure I hadn’t missed anything. There was still no news so I took an hour out to go to church. It was a good call. I spent time chipping ice off my car, which is kind of fun. As a bonus, the neighbourhood birds were in full voice.

The service itself had comforting familiarity, and I actually had thoughts about the sermon for once. The minister quoted a recent movie where one of the Jewish characters talked about ethnicity being something you cannot change, but religion is like a coat; you can take it off or change it as required. This resonated for me because I have been doing an on-line course about la Convivencia in medieval Spain (the period when Muslims, Jews and Christians shared the territory, in relative harmony at least for a while). I am also reading a book set in the time of the Spanish Inquisition, the period where la Convivencia was completely destroyed. The Inquisition was particularly harsh on Jews who had converted to Christianity to avoid persecution, under duress, or because of faith, and especially on those who secretly continued to practice their Jewish faith or maintain traditions based on Jewish practice. I have read elsewhere about the difference between faith and religion. As I recall, the Jewish writer described themselves as a person of religion. That is, they felt ties to the outward, visible marks of being Jewish, but considered themselves to be atheist (not a person of religion). I fluctuate between feeling that I am a person of faith and a person of religion, but mostly I feel that I am neither even though my church community and what it teaches is important to me. I am not a strong believer in the Christian God, but I am deeply committed to the humanist principles espoused by Jesus. I go to church regularly, but the most important parts for me are the opportunities to meet with people from a variety of backgrounds who generally share my values, and the coffee time after the service, when I get to know them.

When I got home, I shoveled snow out of my driveway just in time for a sidewalk plough to fill it in. Thankfully, the driver took pity on me and did an extra pass to move most of it out onto the street. As I shoveled, I watched no fewer than six squirrels chasing each other up and down a tree across the street. I got to chat with one of my neighbours and his dog, and random strangers stopped to say hello as they walked or jogged by.

I feel ready to face whatever the day throws at me now, having connected with people and with nature. I even feel like I can tackle some of the chores I have avoided for the past week. I won’t have my riding lesson today due to that freezing rain, so here are a couple of my favourite pictures of my my horse, Fancy, taken during a storm last winter. She can be quite a grump, as you can tell by the way her ears are pinned back. She makes me laugh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shedding junk in my work space

The COVID-19 new normal?

The World Without Us - Thoughts for Earth Day