Ballet is for everybody

We had nineteen students in class tonight. One high-school aged man was missing, but we had another man (likely around 40), plus one who is probably well into his 60s, and sixteen women ranging in age from 17 to 60s. There was a cancer survivor, a goth girl with lots of tattoos, a woman who looks like she does weight training (amazing arms!), some who are true beginners, others who have danced as children or may still be dancing in an arts high school, and a range of body shapes and different styles of dancewear. 

It is hard work; it is social; it’s great for the brain as we learn new steps and combinations; it may be my favourite 90 minutes of the week.

I only wish I could find an internet photo that begins to show the variety I see in my class. This picture from juliansherman.net came the closest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shedding junk in my work space

The COVID-19 new normal?

The World Without Us - Thoughts for Earth Day