Shedding Things

On January 2, I am turning my mind to things I can let go of. I have read Marie Kondo’s books, and watched her Netflix show. Some of those things made a lot of sense to me (keep the things that spark joy, thank the unwanted things for their service and let them go). I grew up in a household where we didn’t have much money and we moved often; things got lost or broken during moves, or got packed into long-term storage so we didn’t have them when we needed them. My mom came from a poor farming family, born during the Depression in Alberta, where you hung onto things for seven years in case you needed them, and then another seven years just in case. On top of that, I have my own environmental ethos (repair, re-use, repurpose) and a rich and active hobby life. Those things combined to make me reluctant to get rid of things I didn’t like, didn’t really need, or thought I could use later, because you never know when something will come in handy.

Over time, I have learned to keep a small laundry basket in my bedroom. When I decide something can be donated, it goes into the basket. Once it touches the basket, it can’t come out, so I need to be sure I am ready to let it go (that rule works surprisingly well). When the basket is full, everything gets bundled up for donation to the local charity shop. But that still just a drop in my “stuff” bucket.

Having Marie Kondo’d my sweater drawers last summer, I am starting to notice patterns about what I don’t wear, what I don’t like, and what really needs to be retired because it is just too sad (little stains, worn cuffs). Same for the kitchen drawer with dishcloths and tea towels. My mom actually gave me new tea towels last year so I could get rid of the worst of mine. I didn’t, and just found her gift again.

After that, I want to tackle the fabric hoard. I am now reaching the point of diminishing returns on work clothes. If I sewed up all the work pants I have planned, I would have pants for my retirement and well beyond. We will not discuss the tops, the dresses, or the costume things for my hobby...

There are many ways to tackle this challenge. Marie Kondo’s is just one technique. Others suggest starting with a single drawer, or the thing that bugs you most. A friend gets rid of one thing a day, no matter how small. I love that idea and used it one year to get rid of hundreds of things. I’ll probably do a bit of each. So far, a damaged coat hangar, two sweaters and a pair of skates are gone or on their way out the door. I have also started the process of getting rid of an unused toilet (given to me for a bathroom I never use and want to turn into a storage room instead), a door and sink for the cottage project that won’t happen for years, if ever, and my son’s old snowboard and boots.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shedding junk in my work space

The COVID-19 new normal?

The World Without Us - Thoughts for Earth Day