Scripture tradition, reason

I am a reasonably regular church-goer. I know that isn’t a popular thing anymore, but I like that hour of calm, time for reflection, and occasionally a thought that sticks with me through the week. A few weeks ago, we had a guest preacher, who is a well-known Anglican theologian. She said some things that really resonated - resonated enough that I took notes during the sermon and two weeks later am finally writing them to share.

The Anglican faith is built on a balance of scripture, tradition and reason. I like that a lot. In an age of fundamentalist activism, reason matters.

The world is good, people are good. Our faith has a positive emphasis, rather than focusing on sin.

Our baptismal vows (I don’t remember them although I was baptized as a teen) are that we serve Christ by by serving people, safeguard creation, seek truth an justice, and we are called to transform society. Ah - so we are social justice warriors; I’m good with that.

Finally, she quoted Erasmus (my favourite humanist philosopher): all can be theologians.

Today the sun was shining gloriously through the window above the altar. I love this window, which was designed to honour members of the Governor General’s footguards who died during WWI.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shedding junk in my work space

The COVID-19 new normal?

The World Without Us - Thoughts for Earth Day