At the End of the Day: A Mirror of Questions

One of the ministers at my church often prepares reflections or us at the time of major holidays. This year, in the lead-up to Easter, she is thinking about poetry because for her “poetry is at the heart of so many sacred writings and text of the major world religions, with its metaphors and rich imagery, inviting us to reflect and to respond”.

This poem struck me as a very good tool for reflection here. I hope I will remember to return to it an consider it again in future.

At the End of the Day: A Mirror of Questions
By John O’Donohue

What dreams did I create last night?
Where did my eyes linger today?
Where was I blind?
Where was I hurt without anyone noticing?
What did I learn today?
What did I read?
What new thoughts visited me?
What differences did I notice in those closest to me?
Whom did I neglect?
Where did I neglect myself?
What did I do today for the poor and the excluded?
Did I remember the dead today?
Where could I have exposed myself to the risk of something different?
Where did I allow myself to receive love?
With whom today did I feel most myself?
What reached me today? How deep did it imprint?
Who saw me today?
What visitations had I from the past and from the future?
What did I avoid today
From the evidence - why was I given this day?

John O’Donohue (1956-2008), Irish poet and philosopher, Celtic spirituality writer an speakers, wrote this “blessing” in his collection entitled To Bless the Space Between Us, published by Doubleday in 2008.

A reflective pond, from Unsplash.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shedding junk in my work space

The COVID-19 new normal?

The World Without Us - Thoughts for Earth Day