Shedding preconceptions

Fit as a Feminist Issue had two great blog posts about COVID from a perspectives I hadn’t considered before. The first spoke to me as someone who had considered going for an outdoor swim because the pools are closed, and who is sad about losing access to my horse because all equestrian facilities are closed except to maintain the health of the horses. Both are high risk activities and, although I know what I am doing enough to prevent injury most of the time, any sort of accident (or even being close enough to my swim buddies to put up the little changing tent) could take away precious resources from the health care system. Like the authors of this blog, I have huge respecct for Andre Picard and his analysis of public health issues. You can read more about it here: Riding my bike.

The second was less directly relevant, but I have friends in this situation, and right now I’m very glad that my elderly parents have a borrowed treadmill in their living room. I’m also really glad that my job is about providing advice to politicians and implementing their decisions; doing the job of a politician is incredibly difficult. The world is incredibly complex and the law of unintended consequences is brutal, especially when those benefitting from 20/20 hindsight criticize their decisions. Plus, this post was an eye-opener about the possibilities of fitness as a person with a disability. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is hard work! Disability, Fitness, and COVID-19.

And as more and more of us adapt to working at home, this preconception amused me:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shedding junk in my work space

The COVID-19 new normal?

The World Without Us - Thoughts for Earth Day