Perfect rides

 On Sunday I rode Fancy alone for the first time in well over a year. My lesson had been cancelled so I decided to go out anyway and see what I could do. Before I broke my arm last summer, Fancy had developed the habit of walking away from the mounting block when I was trying to get on. My coach taught me a way to get on so she wouldn’t do that, but I barely had one chance to try and then couldn’t ride for six months. When I got back to it, I was pretty nervous - the arm and shoulder muscles were still tight and my whole body was off balance. I managed a few lessons, then went on vacation, and then COVID hit. After a mere two lessons, here I was planning to ride in an empty arena. (I did ask someone to come check on me if I wasn’t back in the barn within an hour). 

It wasn’t the world’s most brilliant ride, but I was very pleased. We walked, trotted, and even tried a couple of leg yields. The whole time, Fancy was distracted by people talking just outside but she mostly relaxed and didn’t do anything silly.

Yesterday I told my coach about the ride and that encouraged her to push me a little more. After the warm-up, we trotted for almost the whole lesson. Fancy was relaxed and using her back muscles. Our transitions from walk to trot to halt were smooth. We even did a bunch of leg yields at the trot - something neither of us are really good at - and they were perfect. It was the first time I felt like I was part of my horse in a very long time. She was completely forgiven for her performance the day before, when I had to chase around muddy fields in the rain for over half an hour so I could catch her for the farrier.

This was not from yesterday, but it is one one of my favourite pictures of us together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shedding junk in my work space

The COVID-19 new normal?

The World Without Us - Thoughts for Earth Day