Core workouts

 Ow! I tried my first HIIT workout on Monday thanks to my local community association (free zoom classes in different styles all week).  Yesterday was yoga, which was fine but somehow I didn’t have the energy for a bike ride in my basement as planned. This morning I woke up feeling sore abs and arms from HIIT, and discovered that there are actually two classes this morning. I just finished the core strength and balance class, where I really felt the imbalance between my right and left sides. Next up was balance and stability for older adults, with a focus on arms. This was surprisingly challenging. I really liked the modifications to do weights and crunches while in a chair. I may incorporate some of them into my daily routines.

I am full of admiration for the HIIT instructor, as she did the workout using her son’s 15 lb weights instead of her usual 10 lbs. I was using 2 lb and that was plenty. It’s funny how you think you are fit, but still discover new things to work on when you try a new activity. I can swim for hours, and that is supposed to be a full body workout, but I’m still missing spots. 

All these new workouts reinforce my interest in a dryland training program via Zoom offered by a local swim club (Rideau Speedeaus). It’s not my usual club but they are lovely folks. I did zumba and some open water swims with them this summer. The times work better for me than the community centre classes, at least for now. I can definitely see myself joining some of them after retirement.

Photo is by Scott Webb, via Unsplash.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shedding junk in my work space

The COVID-19 new normal?

The World Without Us - Thoughts for Earth Day